Bhopal is one of the most famous tourist places in Madhya Pradesh for many reasons. It is a city steeped in culture, and much of its rich history and heritage can be explored in its grand havelis and mosques. There are numerous lakes, both natural and artificial, where you can enjoy boating or spend an enjoyable evening. Besides spotting wildlife in the national park, you can admire the zari work in its bustling bazaars. There is also the new Bhopal, which its shopping complexes, plush hotels and other modern avenues of entertainment.
The capital city of Madhya Pradesh, Bhopal, is one of the most visited tourist destinations in India, because of its rich culture, history, heritage and wildlife. Its rich historical past can be seen in its temples, forts and palaces. It is home to several lakes, both artificial and natural, and for that reason, is also known as the city of lakes. There are newer experiences in store, and each leaves you with memories more special than the other.
Bhopal is renowned for its artificial lakes namely, the Upper and Lower Lakes, also known as the Bada Talab and the Chhota Talab, that split the city in half. The Upper Lake is famous among tourists for its water sports activities and spotting of rare birds. Together, the two lakes form the Bhoj Wetland, which is a Ramsar site.
Lovers of wildlife will enjoy their visit to the Van Vihar National Park, a famous tourist attraction in Bhopal. Situated just adjacent to the Upper Lake, and surrounded by the Shyama Hills, the Van Vihar Park is home to a rich flora and fauna. Kingfishers, bulbuls, wagtails, neelgai, panthers, leopards, cheetah and the White Tiger are some of the animals that you can spot in this park.
Those who love history and heritage will love Bhopal. Trace the earliest traces of human life in the Bhimbetka Rock Shelters, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. There are 243 rock shelters in all which contain cave paintings that date back almost 30,000 years. There are plenty of places where you can witness the rich past of Bhopal, including Raisen Fort, Gohar and Shaukat Mahals, and the Rani Kamlapati Palace. You can also visit the Sardar Manzil whose exquisite courtrooms, luxuriant gardens and intricately carved arches, built in the oriental style of architecture, will compel you to stop and think about the people who were inspired to build such marvelous structures.
More history awaits you at the Indira Gandhi Rashtriya Manav Sangrahalaya, the National Museum of Anthropology and the Birla Museum. The Archaeological Museum, with its massive collection of breathtaking sculptures, and Bharat Bhavan, established by the Government of Madhya Pradesh, are important historical attractions in Bhopal that offer a valuable insight into the rich culture of the state.
Bhopal is also popularly known as the ‘City of Mosques’. The most famous among these is the Taj-ul-Masjid, the largest mosque in India and one of the largest mosques in Asia. Spread over 23,312 sq ft, its magnificent is visible in its pillars, minarets, domes and courtyard. Other popular mosques which you can visit are Moti and Jama Masjid.
Bhopal is also a must visit tourist attractions for shopaholics. You can lay your hands on souvenirs, handicrafts, antiques, footwear and apparel, besides sampling Mughal delicacies. You can also check out items made with exquisite zari embroidery.
Get upto 30℅ of early discount on all our Madhya Pradesh tour packages. Reach us for more details / bookings – +91-7668130655.
|Package Name||Duration||Starting Price|
|Bhopal Pachmarhi Tour||4 Nights 5 Days||INR 13,999/PP|
|Best of Madhya Pradesh Tour||7 Nights 8 Days||INR 17,999/PP|
|Bhopal Ujjain Tour||2 Nights 3 Days||INR 10,999/PP|
|Madhya Pradesh Wildlife Tour||12 Nights 13 Days||INR 35,000/PP|
|Madhya Pradesh Heritage Tour||5 Nights 6 Days||INR 18,999/PP|
Popular Points of Tourist Interests in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh
Bhopal is one of the most famous tourist places in India for many reasons. It is a city steeped in culture, and much of its rich history and heritage can be explored in its grand havelis and mosques. There are numerous lakes, both natural and artificial, where you can enjoy boating or spend an enjoyable evening. Besides spotting wildlife in the national park, you can admire the zari work in its bustling bazaars. There is also the new Bhopal, which its shopping complexes, plush hotels and other modern avenues of entertainment.
The top things to see and best places to visit in Bhopal are palaces, forts, museums, Bhimbetka Rock shelters, Mughal era mosques, New Market, National Park and lakes.
- Upper Lake
- Lower Lake
- Birla Temple (Laxmi Narayan Temple)
- Van Vihar
- Bharat Bhavan
- Indira Gandhi National Museum of Man
- Manu Bhaun ki Tekari
- Cave Temples
- The Taj-ul-Masjid
- Jama Masjid
- Gauhar Mahal
- Shaukat Mahal
- Regional Science Centre
- Fish Aquarium
- Kerwa Dam
- State Archaeological Museum
- Bharat Bhawan
- Taj Mahal Palace
- Van Vihar
- Moti Masjid
- Bhimbetka Rock Shelters
Also Check Out: Khajuraho Tour Package
Best Time to Visit Bhopal Madhya Pradesh
The best time to visit Bhopal is during winter, between October and March. The weather remains pleasant during this time, and is ideal for sightseeing.
- Summer (April-June) Summer in Bhopal is hot, dry and sultry. The mercury rises as high as 40°C during the summers. You can visit Bhopal during this time if you are comfortable travelling in hot weather, and tourists do visit it during the summer.
- Monsoon (July-September): Monsoon in Bhopal starts from July and lasts till September. The temperature remains below 28°C, making it a great time to visit Bhopal. The pleasant weather adds to the romantic charm of the city.
- Winter (October-March): Winter is the best time to visit Bhopal. The temperature varies between 5°C and 15°C, and the cool weather is great for sightseeing or enjoying other activities.
Also Check Out: Panna National Park Wildlife Tour Package
How to Reach Bhopal?
Being the capital city of Madhya Pradesh, Bhopal enjoys excellent connectivity with all the major cities of India.
- By Air: The Raja Bhoj International Airport is the primary airport in Bhopal. This airport is well-connected with all the major cities of India. The airport is located at a distance of around 13 km from the main city. One can easily hire a private cab or taxi from outside the airport to reach Bhopal.
- By Rail: The Bhopal Junction Railway Station is the main railway station of Bhopal. It connects Bhopal to all the major cities of India, except the North-eastern states. One can easily take a cab from the railway station to reach Bhopal.
- By Road: Being the capital and the biggest city of Madhya Pradesh, Bhopal enjoys very good road connectivity through an excellent system of roadways and highways. State and private buses run frequently, connecting Bhopal to prominent cities like Ahmedabad, Kota, Nagpur, Pune and Jaipur.
Also Check Out: Bandhavgarh Jungle Safari Tour Package
Where to Stay in Bhopal?
Bhopal boasts a plethora of accommodation options, ranging from budget hotels, homestays, backpackers hostels and luxury resorts. A haven for travelers, this ‘City of Lakes’ is equipped with all kinds of facilities and touristy delights to make your vacation in this culturally rich city an unforgettable experience.
Browse our incredible India Tour Packages, and select a package that appeals to you the most.
Like & follow us on our following official social media channels
Tour Packages by Interest – Adventure Packages | Wildlife Packages | Pilgrimage Packages | Heritage Packages | Hill Station Packages | Weekend Packages | Honeymoon Packages | Beach Packages | Chardham Packages | Trekking Packages
Other Informative Madhya Pradesh Travel Guide Blogs to Read
- Top 10 Best Destinations to Visit in Madhya Pradesh
- Panna National Park Wildlife Travel Guide
- Kanha National Park Wildlife Travel Guide
- Bandhavgarh National Park Wildlife Travel Guide
Other Informative India Travel Guide Blogs to Read
- Best Places to Visit in Eastern India
- Best Places to Visit in Shillong Meghalaya
- Best Places to Visit in Jodhpur Rajasthan
- Goa Tourism: Best Places to Visit & Top Things to Do in Goa
- 5 Top Adventure Tourism Sports in India That Should Be on Your List
- Best Places to Visit in North East India
- Heritage Tourism in India
- Best Places to Visit in India
- Best Places to Explore in Himachal
- Best Weekend Destinations from Delhi
- Best Places to Visit in Jammu & Kashmir
- Best Honeymoon Destinations in India
- Best Deals & Discounts on Popular Weekend Tour Packages
- Must Visit Beaches in India
- Gujarat Launches Intrastate Flight Service from Surat
- Best Places to Visit in Madhya Pradesh
- Top 10-Weekend Destinations in Himachal Pradesh
Other Informative Trekking Guides Blogs
- Best Trekking Destinations in Uttarakhand
- Explore Panch Kailash Yatra Trekking Information
- Best Trekking Destinations in Sikkim Himalayas
- Best Trekking Places in Himachal Pradesh
- Best Winter Treks in Himalayas
- 21 Best Trekking Destinations in India
- Best Summer Treks in Uttarakhand
- Top Summer Treks in India
- Panch Kedar Trekking Information
Other Informative Uttarakhand Tourism Travel Guide Blogs to Read
- Best Tourist Places in Nainital
- Best Places to Visit in Uttarakhand
- Best Places to Visit in Haridwar
- Uttarkashi Tourism: Best Places to Visit in Uttarkashi
- Harsil Tourism: Best Places to Explore & Top Things to Do
- Madhyamaheshwar Temple Opening Date
- Popular Temples in Uttarakhand
- Chardham Yatra Registration Information
- Tungnath Temple Opening Dates
- Chardham Yatra by Helicopter
- Yamunotri Temple Information
- Gangotri Temple Information
- Kedarnath Temple Opening Dates
- Badrinath Temple Opening Dates
- Hemkund Yatra Information
- Rudranath Temple Yatra Information
- Chardham Yatra Opening Dates
- Shri Badrinath Dham Temple Information
- Shri Kedarnath Dham Temple Guide
- Chardham Yatra of Uttarakhand
- Best Places to Visit in Haridwar
- Best Places to Visit in Chopta Valley
Other Informative Wildlife Travel Guide Blogs to Read
- Ranthambore Tour: How to Plan a Memorable Ranthambore Jungle Safari Trip?
- Wildlife Tourism in India
- Jim Corbett National Park Uttarakhand
- Ranthambore National Park Rajasthan
- Panna National Park Madhya Pradesh
- Kaziranga National Park Assam
- Bandhavgarh National Park Madhya Pradesh
- Kanha National Park Madhya Pradesh
- Famous National Parks in India
- Best Places to Visit Near Kaziranga National Park in Assam