Winters are just around the corner. It is a time to spend days curled up in a blanket, sipping hot chocolate while reading a book you wanted to read. Indian winters are always the best winters and have everything to offer from winter time in the mountains of Himachal Pradesh, Kashmir to relaxing tanned days in Kerala, Goa.
Isn’t it the best time to plan a vacation, somewhere away from the city lights with your significant other or friends?
Because we all want to make up for the winter of previous years when deadly virus forced us to stay inside. Here is a list of 12 places to visit in India in winter.
- Gulmarg, Jammu & Kashmir
- Manali, Himachal Pradesh
- Gangtok, Sikkim
- Auli, Uttarakhand
- Munnar, Kerala
- Udaipur, Rajasthan
- Tawang, Arunachal Pradesh
- Sonmarg, Jammu and Kashmir
- Shimla, Himachal Pradesh
- Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh
1. Gulmarg, Jammu & Kashmir
Gulmarg nestled in the snowcapped mountains and beautiful landscape makes it one of the best winter destinations. It offers a breath-takingly stunning mighty Himalayas and a perfect destination to quench your hunger for adrenaline rush by indulging in snow activities such as skiing and snowboarding. If you wish to get a step closer to nature, take a ride of Asia’s largest and highest cable car ride. If you are thinking of going on a break from the hustle-bustle of a busy city then do plan your next winter vacation to Gulmarg.
2. Manali, Himachal Pradesh
Gigantic mountains, deodar trees, winding roads, heavy snowfall and snowcapped mountains Manali is little paradise situated in Himachal Pradesh. A family holiday, an adventure trail, a honeymoon, or a winter vacation amongst its white, snow-covered expenses- there are one too many routes that will lead your travel plans.
This hill station is a promised land for snow lovers, couples and adventure enthusiasts. Whether it is biking in the snow of Rohtang Pass, paragliding in Solang Valley or hiking up to Jogini Waterfalls, Manali will leave you spellbound with whatever it has to offer. It is one of the best snow winter destinations in India.
3. Gangtok, Sikkim
A striking first ray of sun on Kanchenjunga, home to the ancient Indo-China Silk Route, tranquil high-altitude lakes, colorful monasteries and views of the surreal Himalayas Gangtok is a bewitching hill station situated in north-eastern state, Sikkim. Being one of the top winter holiday destinations, it is a paradise for everyone. From Buddhist pilgrims to trekkers, tourists to honeymooners, every kind of traveler can find an activity of their interest. Whitewater rafting in Teesta is a popular adventure activity. When the winter snows spread their chill through the land, the Phurchachu Hot Springs are a great place to get a healing dose of sulphuric waters in Sikkim. The hot springs are located near the four holy caves of Gangtok, which gives an additional touch of holiness to the site. The 1-kilometre long ropeway over Gangtok, a trip to Nathula Pass, Tsomgo Lake and Baba mandir is a must visit place in Gangtok.
4. Auli, Uttarakhand
Auli is a popular skiing and snow destination in India as it offers glittering slopes and a pollution-free environment. Studded with apple orchards, oaks and deodars, Auli is situated amidst the Himalayan range at 2800 meters above sea levels. Auli is well connected with a cable car to the town of Joshimath.
It is a heavenly abode to the mountain ranges of Nanda Devi, Mana Parvat, Kamet and religious destinations such as Badrinath Temple. It is an ancient belief that Shankaracharya had blessed Auli with his visit. If you are seeking some adventure then trek to Valley of Flowers National Park, it has flora and wildlife like snow leopards and red foxes.
5. Munnar, Kerala
Munnar is referred to as the ‘Kashmir of the South’ for its captivating lush green mountains of western Ghat. Munnar is the best place to indulge in activities such as trekking, rappelling, and rock climbing and to enjoy the gentle cold weather. Picnic at Echo Point, climb the surreal Anamudi Peak, and taste different tea flavors at the TATA Tea Museum. The lion-tailed macaque at Silent Valley National Park, tigers and elephants in Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary, and variety of birds at the Kumarakom Bird Sanctuary or a leisure walk in the spice garden make Kerala a famous destination for nature lovers. It is indeed a best winter destination to visit in Kerala.
6. Udaipur, Rajasthan
One of the best places to visit in winters in India, Udaipur is a popular place among travellers for its series of artificial lakes and royal residences. It’s a city, located in the southernmost part of Rajasthan and surrounded by the hills of Aravali Range, which also separates it from the Thar Desert. One of the perfect winter tourist places, Udaipur has become popular as one of the favourite wedding destinations in recent years and undoubtedly, it is the best place to spend a romantic winter vacation with your loved one. The clear blue sky in the background of the royal forts and glowing lakes, always adds some extra beauty to this ‘Blue City.’ With countless tourist spots and lots of activities to spend winter holidays Udaipur remains a fascinating destination for every traveller.
The perfect winter weather conditions allow travelers to get into numerous activities such as boat rides and sightseeing. Or just enjoy magnificent views of Lake Palace, Fateh Sagar Lake, Jag Mandir, Lake Pichola. Or just enjoy a lavish dinner at the lakeside cafe in lake Pichola.
7. Tawang, Arunachal Pradesh
Located at an altitude of 3000-meters above sea level, Tawang is a town in Arunachal Pradesh. It is home to the oldest and biggest monastery of India, the Tawang Monastery. The scenic views of the snow-covered Himalayas, valleys enveloped colorful prayer flags and ancient monasteries is just to die for. You can explore both the natural and historical. You will be spell bounded with the beauty of picturesque landscapes. It is one of the top winter destinations in India. The beauty of the Nuranang waterfalls, Sela Pass, Madhuri lake and a visit to Urgelling Monastery which is the birthplace of the 6th Dalai Lama is a must visit place in Tawang.
Also Read: Best Places to Explore in India
8. Sonmarg, Jammu and Kashmir
Coveted as the golden meadow, Sonmarg is in all true sense the land of gold. Sonmarg has a spectacular facet of countryside in Kashmir. It is a flower laden meadow in between the imposing Himalayan range that boasts of wafting scents of fir and pine forests. It is an ideal vacation for anyone who wishes to enjoy some good snowy wintertime with friends and family. Thajiwas Glacier, Zojila Pass, Gangabal Lake, and the serenity of Gadsar Lake. Sonmarg is a must-visit amongst the winter destinations in India. Sonmarg allows you to experience different types of weather in a single day – a sunny morning, rainy afternoon and a cold evening.
Also Read: Best Trekking Destinations in India
Christmas and New Year parties, Sunburn, and Goa Film Festival scheduled for the winter months make it one of the perfect winter holiday destinations. Goa is not all about parties and electrifying nightlife. The coastline of more than 100 km offers panoramic views and serenity where tourists enjoy and relax in the Sun.
Goa is an ideal place for water sports and fun lovers. You can try watersports in Goa such as Jet skiing, Flyboarding, Kayaking, windsurfing, Parasailing.
The Old Goa and famous churches offer you utmost peace, structural excellence, legacy, and history that can’t be overlooked. These churches of Goa are an example of Portuguese design and architectural beauty.
10. Shimla, Himachal Pradesh
Shimla is popularly known as the “Queen of Hills” is one of the best gifts to cherish by the Britishers. It is one of the beautiful winter destinations in Himachal Pradesh. The snow-capped mountains, the tranquility, the beauty of the deodar trees, while sipping a cup of tea in a quaint cafe on the mall road. The capital city of Himalayan Himachal has breathtaking views of snow-covered forests which look nothing less than an Alice’s wonderland. Visiting Shimla in winters offers activities such as ice skating and skiing. Evening stroll on Mall Road and the Ridge when the city lights shine like stars is not to miss on your trip to Shimla.
Looking for a beach destination to spend a winter vacation? Andaman is the right place for you. Winter, from November to February is the best time to explore the fabulous places in Andaman. Starting from pristine sand beaches, mangroves, forests, caves and volcanoes to coral islands and many more – Andaman, no doubt, remains one of the best places to visit in winters. The tranquillity of the place and the urge to spend winter holidays in the lap of nature – make some unforgettable memories to cherish forever. One of the best winter tourist places and one of the best places to experience underwater activities, Andaman won’t disappoint you during this season.
Also Read: Best Beach Destinations to Explore in India
Varanasi is one such place in India that you should not miss visiting in winter. The tropical climate of the country makes this place one of the best places to visit in winters and it’s true in all senses. The weather during winter makes everything more exhilarating in Varanasi. When the cool breeze touches your face at the ghats of Varanasi in winter, which are the main attractions of the place, where you will spend most of your time, it surely becomes one of the best winter holidays of your life. There is no dearth of activities to spend a memorable winter vacation in Varanasi. The pleasant weather makes it so comfortable to have countless food tours, temple visits, shopping, sightseeing and many more and make Varanasi one of the favourite winter tourist places in the country.
Also Read: Best Heritage Destinations to Visit in India
Other Popular Winter Tourist Destinations in India by Region
|Best Winter Tourist Places in North India||Delhi, Udaipur, Manali, Nainital, Jaipur, Dalhousie, Kasol, Shimla, Ranikhet, Auli, Gulmarg|
|Top Winter Places in South India||Ooty, Kodaikanal, Alleppey, Kochi, Coorg, Munnar, Pondicherry, Chikmagalur, Coonoor, Araku Valley, Horsley Hills|
|Best Winter Destinations in East India||Assam, Meghalaya, Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Mizoram, Nagaland, Sikkim, Darjeeling|
|Best Winter Tourist Destination in West India||Goa, Mumbai, Mahabaleshwar, Panchgani, Lonavla, Khandala, Pune, Saputara, Daman, Diu, Ahmedabad|
So, are you ready? Let’s start planning for these the best holiday winter escapes in India for an amazing weekend and fun.
Get upto 30℅ of early bird discount on our India Tour packages. Reach us for more details / bookings – +91-7668130655.
Like & follow us on our following official social media channels
Other Popular Trending Holiday Destinations in India – Kashmir Tour | Himachal Tour | Uttarakhand Tour | Rajasthan Tour | Gujarat Tour | Sikkim Tour | Kerala Tour | Andaman Tour | Madhya Pradesh Tour | North East Tours
Tour Packages by Interest – Adventure Packages | Wildlife Packages | Pilgrimage Packages | Heritage Packages | Hill Station Packages | Weekend Packages | Honeymoon Packages | Beach Packages | Chardham Packages | Trekking Packages
Other Informative India Travel Guide Blogs to Read
- Best Places to Visit in Kerala
- Best Places to Visit in Eastern India
- Best Places to Visit in Shillong Meghalaya
- Best Places to Visit in Jodhpur Rajasthan
- Goa Tourism: Best Places to Visit & Top Things to Do in Goa
- 5 Top Adventure Tourism Sports in India That Should Be on Your List
- Best Places to Visit in North East India
- Heritage Tourism in India
- Best Places to Visit in India
- Best Places to Explore in Himachal
- Best Weekend Destinations from Delhi
- Best Places to Visit in Jammu & Kashmir
- Best Honeymoon Destinations in India
- Best Deals & Discounts on Popular Weekend Tour Packages
- Must Visit Beaches in India
- Best Places to Visit in Madhya Pradesh
- Top 10-Weekend Destinations in Himachal Pradesh
- Top 10 Best Destinations to Visit in Madhya Pradesh
- Best Places to Visit in Bhopal Madhya Pradesh
Other Informative Trekking Guides Blogs
- Best Trekking Destinations in Uttarakhand
- Explore Panch Kailash Yatra Trekking Information
- Best Trekking Destinations in Sikkim Himalayas
- Best Trekking Places in Himachal Pradesh
- Best Winter Treks in Himalayas
- 21 Best Trekking Destinations in India
- Best Summer Treks in Uttarakhand
- Top Summer Treks in India
- Panch Kedar Trekking Information
Other Informative Wildlife Travel Guide Blogs to Read
- Ranthambore Tour: How to Plan a Memorable Ranthambore Jungle Safari Trip?
- Wildlife Tourism in India
- Jim Corbett National Park Uttarakhand
- Ranthambore National Park Rajasthan
- Panna National Park Madhya Pradesh
- Kaziranga National Park Assam
- Bandhavgarh National Park Madhya Pradesh
- Kanha National Park Madhya Pradesh
- Famous National Parks in India
- Best Places to Visit Near Kaziranga National Park in Assam
Informative Karnataka Tourism Travel Guide Blogs to Read
- Must Visit Waterfalls in Karnataka
- Karnataka Pilgrimage Tour – Must Visit Religious Places
- Jog Falls – Most Beautiful Waterfalls in Karnataka
- Explore the Iconic Bangalore Palace in Karnataka
Informative Uttarakhand Tourism Travel Guide Blogs to Read
- Popular Religious Places to Visit in Uttarakhand
- Best Hill Stations to Visit in Uttarakhand
- Chardham Yatra Travel Guide
- Best Places to Visit in Rishikesh
- Best Places to Visit in Mussoorie
- Best Things to Do in Uttarakhand
- Best Tourist Places in Nainital
- Best Places to Visit in Uttarakhand
- Best Places to Visit in Haridwar
- Uttarkashi Tourism: Best Places to Visit in Uttarkashi
- Harsil Tourism: Best Places to Explore & Top Things to Do
- Madhyamaheshwar Temple Opening Date
- Popular Temples in Uttarakhand
- Chardham Yatra Registration Information
- Tungnath Temple Opening Dates
- Chardham Yatra by Helicopter
- Yamunotri Temple Information
- Gangotri Temple Information
- Kedarnath Temple Opening Dates
- Badrinath Temple Opening Dates
- Hemkund Yatra Information
- Rudranath Temple Yatra Information
- Chardham Yatra Opening Dates
- Shri Badrinath Dham Temple Information
- Shri Kedarnath Dham Temple Guide
- Best Places to Visit in Haridwar
- Best Places to Visit in Chopta Valley